Monday, May 16, 2016

Reflection Series - Happy to Serve !



The time I spend volunteering for worthy causes is well spent. I learn how to exercise self-control and discipline when I involve myself in giving back.

Sharing my time and energy reminds me that there are many needs outside of my own. Having someone else as the focal point forces me to control self-serving behavior. My consciousness about my importance is held at bay when I am in volunteer mode.

When I look at how much value is gained from charitable contributions, I am encouraged. A lot of creativity is used to convert small amounts into meaningful missions. 

Sacrificing my personal desires while I volunteer is difficult, but worthwhile. It teaches me the value of having just enough.

When I see what it means to live without basic amenities, I am humbled. Being privy to that forces me to be more frugal. I exist in a state of excess without even realizing it. I am committed to cutting out some of my indulgence in order to benefit others.

Shifting the focus from myself to others shows me what really matters in life. I am happy to spend my time doing good for others.

Self-Reflection Questions:

1. What other areas of my life can be improved by donating my time and resources?

2.  In what creative ways can I contribute to those who are in need?

4 comments:

  1. a help becomes absolute when nothing is expected or received in return..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shilpa,
    You are growing richer in person day by day....leave your trails , I may want to follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bijou..thanks for the compliment.
      My trails will be shared through this blog..glad to know that i inspired you in some way!

      Delete