Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Reconnecting with my Roots this Summer!





How many of us remember and cherish the memories of Summer Holidays at our Grandparents house ( nani, dadi)- I do!

For me Summer Holidays was the time to meet grandparents, cousins and lots of fun. Nagpur was always extremely Hot during April & May, so we used to be left mostly being indoors playing carrom, cards, reading story books, playing chess or running inside the house catching each other.

Mostly all cousins where Early Risers (20 years back definitely, don't ask now ), so early mornings were for walks, swimming in the club, climbing the mango/ guava trees in the compound and then enjoying the fruits of hardwork!

The evenings were mostly for Antakashari ( singing songs), watching movies, having dinner with grandparents and elders and sharing what all we did in the day followed by round of ice-creams ( most awaited moment for all)

We were perfectly content at our Grandparents House. It was a heart of our family and relationships.

Though presently we live far away and hardly visit in Summers but this year me and my son visited our Grandparents. when i say our Grandparents - i visited mine and he was with his grandparents who fortunately are in the same city Nagpur. 

As i have special association with my Grandparents and their house , i wish my son too have his share of immensely treasured moments.

My father has a beautiful garden with all kinds of trees mango, guava, pomegranete (nar) neem, papaya, lemon, drumsticks. The fruits are welcoming for monkey, squirrles.

Flowers like amaltaas, chandani, parijatak are inviting for the bees and birds, which is a pleasant sight for all.
Herbs like Tulsi, Lemon Grass, Giloya, Haldi, Meethi Neem are readily available.

During our visit this summer my son showed interest  and excitement to water the variety of flora and observing the nature each day which is a very calming experience. A little reconnect with the Nature goes a long way.

My son was born waterbaby and this year at his Grandparents house he learnt Swimming ( Floating & kicking) and made new friends at the sports academy. The similarity between the  Grandparents is to focus on quality of life by being active in sports and exercise.

I love the way my son is self exploring with his Grandparents and their warm, unconditional relationship!

Often we are comforted by the thought that a place is ours, that we belong to it, even come from it, and therefore are tied to it in some fundamental way. Such places reaffirm our sense of self, reflecting back to us an unthreatening picture of a ground identity and this is what my grandparent's house is to me where I am perfectly content because here I can revisit my upbringing values which have in fact positively affected my life, and this place is extremely meaningful to me as I am free to be my true self without having to pretend to be a person who I am not as in an otherwise pompous and conceited world.

And i so Wish the same for my Son ....Building Memories for Lifetime & Learning many Valuable Lessons from his Grandparents!


May Lily
Honey Bee & Lemons
Baby Papaya's







1 comment:

  1. 20 years back and relishing only the memories of holidays?
    for me everyday was spectacular with something or other happening...

    nice post

    ReplyDelete