Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Set Goals that Work!

You need to know " Whats your motivation ? " What will this Goal or Goals give me ?"

Crap Reasons for setting Goals :

  • I need more money
  • I have to make my parents (or anybody else for that matter) proud
  • I need a bigger house
  • I want to show people how successful I am
  • I’d like to be famous and have people adore me
The common denominator for all of the above is that they are extrinsically motivated. 




Great Reasons for Setting Goals:
  • I want to leave a legacy behind me
  • I want the world to be a better place
  • I want to set great examples for my Kids
  • I want to leave my 9 am to never ending job to lead a more balanced life/ spening more time with my loving family 
  • I want to align with my Core Values
The latter is way cooler when it comes to setting goals.


So write down what you want, what you really, really want and don‟t spare the horses- 
WRITE IT DOWN !


The act of writing the goal down also does a couple of other really important things. 

Firstly it means that you actually see your goal infront of you and it looks more real.


So by writing it down you‟re concentrating your focus and demonstrating the importance to your unconscious as well as making sure you don‟t forget the goal. 


There is a process called the 3 P‟s in goal setting and it stands for Personal, Present Tense & Positive. 


Personal means it has to be your goal and can be achieved by you.

Present Tense means the goal needs to be written as though it has already been achieved so that you create something called cognitive dissonance (more in a moment).

Positive means it has to be something you want to achieve and not something you want to avoid. 


See It, Hear It, Feel It

Sit in your favorite chair and take several deep breaths. Make sure the exhale is about 50% longer than the inhale and allow yourself to relax, When you are well chilled, I want you to imagine having your goal. I mean really imagine with all your senses.

See what you would see, hear what you would hear and allow all those emotions and feelings that go with hitting your goal to arise. Really let them build and then build some more. Know that you can have this feeling if you really want to.

Spend some time watching yourself, or if you are looking through your own eyes, seeing yourself, and see how brilliant your life is. You can even make the picture or movie bigger and brighter and see if that makes it even more appealing.

You can even try adding a motivational sound track if you like and if it makes your goal feel more attainable. There are no rules, you really can do whatever you want inside your own head without fear of repercussions.

Once you are there I want you to see yourself dealing with any potential obstacles with aplomb. Think of sticking points that may arise and visualize yourself dealing easily with them.

You can make them content free if don‟t know what they are likely to be at this stage. By that I mean, just see yourself looking confident and overcoming issues without necessarily knowing what the specifics are.

This type of visualization* is very powerful and I would recommend you do this as often as is feasible, preferably on a daily basis. A great time is first thing as you wake up or last thing before you go to sleep when your conscious mind is all dozy and won‟t insist on crashing the party and trying to be all realistic. 

  Commit     .............    Commit    ................   Commit 


                                   Whatever you Do, Just Do Something !

Use Sub Goals to Enjoy the Journey....

You all are familiar with SMART Goals- Specific, Measurable, Action Oriented, Realistic and Time bound !

Make your goals fun chasing and REWARD Yourself on achieving sub goals.









No comments:

Post a Comment